conf/118255: savecore never finding kernel core dumps (rcorder problem)

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 1 03:10:03 PST 2007

The following reply was made to PR conf/118255; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: conf/118255: savecore never finding kernel core dumps (rcorder
	problem)
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 02:55:36 -0800

 This is great information; thanks for providing it! I found it quite
 educational/informational.  The documentation Antony provided seems to
 indicate two things:

 1) That savecore(8) should really be run before swapon(8) -- I don't see
 any indication that swap needs to be made available prior to mounting
 filesystems, which is what Doug B. was stating was a necessity.

 2) That even regardless of Item #1, savecore(8) should be working
 (assuming that kernel dumps are still written from the end of the swap
 device to the front (e.g. backwards)), and that swapon(8) shouldn't be
 stomping on kernel dumps.

 I haven't tried changing the rcorder of the /etc/rc.d scripts in
 question to see if it works.  My gut feeling says it probably will, but
 I'm not sure of the implications.

 Doug, can you provide some comments/insight here when time permits?