Extend the rc interface for configuration

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 28 22:38:55 UTC 2006

Dirk Engling wrote:
> Dear rc-hackers,
>
> in my understanding the rc.d interface is a generic abstraction of
> common actions you want to perform on server software.

Alas, such is not the case. You can get more information at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-rcd.html

> When administrating lots of servers of different type I stumbled accross
> many configuration actions that were similar, for example
> adding/removing virtual hosts and users for my mail/ web/ ftp/ name/
> jabber-server, configuring ports, logfiles, ssl-ports + certs/ keys etc.

There are already excellent tools to deal with the class of problems you
describe, the most popular being cfengine.

hth,

Doug