The future of set_rcvar

Alexander Botero-Lowry alex at foxybanana.com
Tue Jun 6 14:58:47 PDT 2006

One question I've always had is why FreeBSD picked to have ${name}_enable instead of just ${name} like on NetBSD? Was there a lot of debate about this, was it to make the variables less ambigious, or osmething else?

I would advocate for the third option if there is really a good reason to not just do what NetBSD does. It makes it hard for packagers to use consistent rc scripts between NetBSD and FreeBSD when the $rcvar is different between the two platforms (and with a lot of stuff in ports and pkgsrc the same rc scripts could be used and even packaged with the application if upstream likes that idea).

Alex