RFC: new rc.d/jail changes (templating fstab entries and rootdir)

Philipp Wuensche cryx-freebsd at h3q.com
Sat Jul 22 14:44:27 UTC 2006

Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Ping?

This seems to be a very dirty hack which is highly error-prone and has
high potential for the user to trash their system, the same is true for
the ipaddr-alias configuration stuff in rc.d/jail.

Neither do I like the usage of variables in rc.conf and fstab nor using
ifconfig alias/-alias in rc.d/jail which gives plenty possibilites to
trash the system in the way it is currently implemented.

The ideas are basically interesting and useful for using jails but the
way of implementation is not very foresighted.

I think we need a clear abstraction of managing jails and implementing
features like fstab templates and interface configuration for jails. The
current system of managing jails in freebsd is okay for the basics but
when it comes to managing a whole bunch (>5) of jails it gets very
unhandy and complex. Implementing quick hacks will not help the situation.

I migrated all my jail-servers to ezjail, which is in my opinion the
right way for managing jails and which could be a good start for a
jail-management system in freebsd. The author already posted a patch
(which I unfortunately didn't actually had time to test) and he is
willing to share his time and work with the freebsd system.

It would be great for freebsd to not just have "jails" but to have
"jails and everythink you need to easily manage them".

best regards,
philipp