dhclient existing when run early in startup

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Feb 22 09:41:56 PST 2006

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 09:02:12AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have dhclient almost working on -current. I just added the following 3
> lines before running dhclient:
>   if ! [ -d "/var/empty" ]; then
>     mkdir /var/empty
>   fi
>
> I don't delete the directory, so it's only created once and just sits
> there forever.

I'll add that to the next revision. I'm installing and setting up
-CURRENT right now so I can continue development there.

> Now, the correct profile is selected, but I now hang in dhclient in
> netif. This may be impacted by the fact that I am running ISC
> dhcp-client because my Prism 2.5 does not play will with the one in
> -current.

Yeah, in rev 25I adapted profile from the old ISC dhcp to the new
OpenBSD dhcp. You might want to revert this if you depend on ISC.

> A ^C clears things and the system starts fine with the correct
> configuration of the interface.

Funny, I had the exact behaviour when trying to run isc-compatible
profile with the new dhclient from OpenBSD :-)

Oh well, this is getting a bit messy. I'll respond to Bruces mail
when I have had time to think things through a bit. For now, I will
try to make profile working with 6.0 and 7.0 and keep the existing
functionality, while figuring in which direction to go in the future.

cheers, Tobias

btw, I'm cc'ing freebsd-current@ since you accidentally sent your mail
there, so people don't get too confused.