misc/106902: Suggest, setting nameservers in rc.conf

[LoN]Kamikaze LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de
Wed Dec 20 11:31:48 PST 2006

Doug Barton wrote:
> Synopsis: Suggest, setting nameservers in rc.conf
>
 > I don't see this as a generally useful idea, but perhaps you
> can say more about the conditions under which your resolv.conf
> changes, and why you need to rewrite it at boot time?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

While taking it around to other places I connect to different networks via wireless, so my rc.conf gets changed often by dhclient and vpnc. But at home I prefer to use cable LAN and there's no DHCP server running (it's a static network, no need for that). I can set the IP/subnet and the gateway in rc.conf, but I have to get the nameserver into the resolv.conf and there's simply not a convenient way to do this.
If I'd make it read only, I wouldn't be able to use wireless any more. And I like the idea of having the network configuration in one place (rc.conf).
Even if I want to reset it on runtime I only have to type
# rcstart resolv
(I'm using sysutils/bsdadminscripts), so for me it's a really just the most convenient way to reset the resolv.conf.