syslogd script bug?: syslogd_program= not honored

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Apr 3 22:57:45 UTC 2006

It doesn't seem as if syslogd_program (in rc.conf) is honored.

To reproduce, install syslog-ng, then set the following in /etc/rc.conf:
syslogd_enable="YES"
syslogd_program="/usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng"

This does not result in syslog-ng starting - in fact, it seems as if
the FreeBSD syslogd is still started.

In my (unexpert) opinion, the problem is that /etc/rc.d/syslogd contains
the line:
command="/usr/sbin/${name}"
which seems atypical compared to other rc.d scripts.

I'm not sure if the rc.d/syslogd script can reliably start other syslog-
ish programs.  The syslogd_precmd() makes me wonder if this script would
be problematic starting anything but FreeBSD's syslogd.

There's definately an issue, since syslogd_program doesn't work as
advertised.  My question is whether it's a documentation issue (the
references to syslogd_program should be removed) or a bug in the
rc.d script.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.