alias configuration in rc.conf

Philipp Wuensche cryx-freebsd at h3q.com
Mon Oct 17 17:37:57 PDT 2005

Brooks Davis wrote:

> I don't like ipv4_ifconfig_fxp0.  I'd suggest ifconfig_fxp0_ipv4_aliases
> instead.

Good idea, the ipv4_ifconfig was just a placeholder more ore less. But
why is there a differentiation between adding the first ipaddr. to the
interface and adding anoter one anyway?

Part of my idea (not implemented in this piece of code) was to use
ifconfig_if (or ifconfig_if_option) for interface options only and use
ipv4_ and ipv6_ifconfig_if to configure the ipaddr. of the interface.
This would make no difference between adding the first ipaddr and adding
more. Just for the record ;-).

> The ipv4_ifconfig_getargs function is slightly bogus as
> written since a default value makes no sense and that would be the wrong
> one anyway.  The implemenation also fails to match the comment though
> that's easy to fix.  I'd also not modify etc/rc.d/netif and do this from
> ifalias_up().

I moved everything to ifalias_up() keeping the other aliasN stuff.

> Corresponding ifalias_down() support should also be added.

Done.

> Finally modifications will be needed to rc.conf(5).

Yes and /etc/defaults/rc.conf also.

Once again, I made the patch available at
http://outpost.h3q.com/patches/network.subr-range.patch

greetings,
cryx