rcNG script problems

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jun 15 10:28:56 GMT 2005

Brooks Davis wrote:
[rcorder not being run on /usr/local/etc/rc.d etc]

>There are two reasons.  First, we have nearly thirteen-THOUSAND ports
>so any change needs to be gradual.  Second, /usr/local is not
>generally available when rcorder is run so /etc/rc becomes
>more complicated to allow scripts to be reordered after mountcritremote
>is run.  That said, we're planning to provide partial rcorder support in
>6.0 and hopefully full support in 7.0.  Discussions of this are taking
>place on the freebsd-rc list.

Good to know -- and time to sub to a new mailing list :-)

I certainly wasn't expecting all the existing ports to be converted!  I
expected that the existing 'scripts ending in .sh' mechanism would
continue, either putting them in a different directory or putting some
logic into /etc/rc to avoid them.  I hadn't considered the not mounted
problem :-(

Anyway, thanks for the info.  For now I'll keep with putting my own
scripts into /etc/rc.d and keeping copies elsewhere for easy rebuilding.

--Alex