RCng/NTP Catch-22

Luke Mewburn luke at mewburn.net
Sun Oct 24 08:19:57 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 03:58:28PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
  | On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 04:51:04PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
  | > In message: <20041021221715.GA4730 at odin.ac.hmc.edu>
  | >             Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
  | > : On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 03:06:23PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
  | > : > In message: <20041021152920.GB1811 at rogue.acs.lan>
  | > : >             Mike Makonnen <mtm at identd.net> writes:
  | > : > : devfs can't be
  | > : > : run before NETWORKING because it depends on at least one binary in
  | > : > : /usr/sbin. See my patch and reply to Andre.
  | > : >
  | > : > which one?  devfs is in /sbin.
  | > :
  | > : It looks like chown.  That one always suprises me even though I've hit
  | > : it a number of times.  I think this is because you can't safely do
  | > : anything involving user names before you have working directory services
  | > : and you can't be sure you have those before you have user.  Hmm, I
  | > : wonder what happens if you try to use chown when you have nss configured
  | > : to use a directory, but don't have /usr mountd.
  | >
  | > Maybe that's why the LOGIN thing was there before :-(
  |
  | mountcritremote should be sufficent.  LOGIN is way later then needed.

Correct; mountcritremote is the first dependency for /usr (and
/usr/bin and /usr/sbin is implied from that).

To be safe you may want to try:
	REQUIRE: mountcritremote
	BEFORE:  DAEMON
although this might still have a "chicken & egg" issue if you have
users in network databases (e.g, Hesiod/DNS, NIS, LDAP) and the
local services for those (e.g, ypbind) aren't up yet.   "oh joy".

Cheers,
Luke.