review request: early rc.d scripts

Mike Makonnen mtm at identd.net
Thu Oct 14 08:04:27 PDT 2004

Sorry for the late reply. I meant to reply to this sooner but
forgot about it.

I generally don't like multiple runs of rcorder(8) since this
can potentially make the system fragile. This is because an early script
gets run twice, and if the script doesn't do sanity checking the second
time round it could break things (rc.d/var comes to mind). I realize that
the keyword is currently only in two rc.d scripts, but having the
functionality available invites use in other scripts.

Secondly, this seems to me to be of limited use to the majority of
FreeBSD users. I can't think of a single instance in the past where
I wished I had this functionality. However, you certainly want it, so
there will probably be others that could use it too :-)

Given my reservations I would really prefer you keep
it as a local hack or find a different mechanism. However, if you really
want it in the base system it should be behind an rc.conf knob that
defaults to off so that those people who don't use it won't be
affected by it.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc