RFC (fwd) Re: 5.3 tmpfs mount permissions

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Nov 8 05:42:00 PST 2004

On 2004-11-08 15:30, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 2004-11-08 13:47, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> > > For consistency shouldn't the same be done for a /var MFS?
> >
> > You're probably right.  I saw varmfs near tmpfs in the rc.conf.5 manpage
> > and thought about adding varoptions="" to rc.conf too.  It's not very
> > difficult, now that I found out how to do it for tmpfs.
>
> Done, see below.
>
> Another tunable option that some users might find interesting at times is the
> softupdates support for the memory disks.
[...]

Hmmm, now that I look at the changes to mound_md() again, I don't like the way
it's headed.  Would it make more sense to add a tmpmfs_flags="" variable that
would surpass both the bytes-per-inode and the ones I tried adding?  This
introduces an incompatibility with the current state of mount_md(), but it's
easily extensible to include other options of mdmfs without having to invent
new funny ways of passing options to mdmfs through the rc.d scripts.