RFC: Alternate patch to have true new-style rc.d scripts in ports (without touching localpkg)

Andrey Chernov ache at nagual.pp.ru
Sat Jul 31 08:06:05 PDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 05:56:16PM +0300, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 03:24:56PM +0200, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> > Lets be realistic: Nearly nobody wants his scripts to be sourced in the
> > startup shell, especially not in /usr/local/etc/rc.d. People who really
> > want to do this are experts that exactly know what they are doing, and
> > are not easily confused.
>
> *sigh* You cannot arbitrarily declare that "nearly nobody wants his
> scripts to be sourced in the startup shell". You have no idea of knowing
> what a user might want to do with his system and what his level of
> expertise is.

That argument is against your position. If you have no idea, user (i.e.
script) can do _anything_, I mean easily damage startup shell even without
evil intentions. You know example - apache13. We need minimal protection,
separating base scripts level and ports scripts level, I mean executing
them in the subshells. There is rc.local (or a like) to do something with
startup shell locally, not from inside ports system.

--
Andrey Chernov | http://ache.pp.ru/