Probably Solved, was Re: What's the gotcha with latest lang/php55?

Trond Endrestøl Trond.Endrestol at fagskolen.gjovik.no
Tue May 26 10:56:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 03:27-0700, David Benfell wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:23:40AM +0200, Trond Endrestøl wrote:
> >
> > Going from lang/php5 to lang/php56 was an interesting lesson a few
> > weeks ago. I whipped up this script to ease the pain:
> >
> > http://ximalas.info/~trond/create-zfs/canmount/upgrade-to-lang-php56.sh
>
> There was definitely some strange behavior, which I hope was due to
> inconsistency with the zend thread safety option, where libraries
> literally seemed to disappear after I had reinstalled them.

In my first case, I was switching from stable/8 to stable/10, and had
to recompile all ports. I ran something like portupgrade -acn, and
literally ran my upgrade script manually. Actually, my steps then
formed the basis for my script. It also helps to pay attention to what
happens to /var/db/ports, comparing the old options files with the new
ones, and further keep that hierarchy under some form of SCM. I use
CVS (devel/cvs) since it's pretty lightweight, but YMMV.

I had a change to try the script last weekend on a stable/10 system,
switching from lang/php5 to lang/php56, and all went well.

> But I also discovered I needed to reinstall pecl- and pear- packages,
> especially the latter. I think there's more to portupgrade than
> appears in the man page and there's lots more to portupgrade than I
> know, but I hope your script catches that. I'm saving it.

On my systems, databases/pear-DB depends on devel/pear, which in turn
depends on textproc/php56-xml and lang/php56, so yes, my script should
handle such cases.

--
| Vennlig hilsen,               | Best regards,                      |