pkg upgrade issue

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue Mar 24 15:03:49 UTC 2015

On 03/24/15 02:34, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 23/03/2015 23:47, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> After the previously mentioned issue w/ freebsd-update, I decided to
>> upgrade my installed pkg's while I was in console mode & logged in as
>> root. I attach the output from the proceedings. I last pkg-upgraded
>> about 1 month ago & haven't installed any new stuff since then. FreeBSD
>> 9.3-RELEASE-p10, running only GENERIC kernels & std. pkgs, w/ 1
>> exception, libflash-whatever to support flash in FireFox & opera. Need
>> anything else, just ask. TIA ....
> You've run into a known pkg bug which is fixed in what will be the next
> release.  In your case, it manifests as a conflict between upgrading
> from php-5.4.x to php-5.6.x (which is a change in the default PHP
> version in ports IIRC) and individual updates of php modules from 5.4.37
> to 5.4.38.  Plus a similar change from ruby20 to ruby21.
>
> Assuming you're using the default FreeBSD package repositories, you'll
> want to transition to php56.  You can beat the conflicts checking into
> submission by doing something like this:
>
>      pkg install -f php56    (which should result in php54 being
>                               removed, but not the php54-modules)
>      pkg upgrade
>
> You might need to play around with this approach a bit in order to get
> everything working well.  Some combination of forcing updates of key
> packages, or deleting key packages, upgrading everything else and then
> reinstalling what you deleted should eventually work.
>
> Be sure to pay attention to what pkg says it is going to delete -- it is
> unfortunately quite easy to end up accidentally deleting something you
> actually wanted installed.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Thanks, this got me going. I had tried 'pkg install -y php56' before,
still nogo. The '-f' still didn't work the 1st time, but listed the
problem pkg's, which I manually deleted, then did the 'install -f
php56', which worked AOK, then the upgrade, which also worked AOK :-).
*Yippeeee* !!!! Now if I can get that freebsd-update situation fixed ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III