freebsd-update questions

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 08:08:14 UTC 2015

On 28/01/2015 07:44, Andrew Gould wrote:
> I am being asked to manually merge master.passwd and passwd.  Rather than
> risk making a mistake on the passwords, can I copy the files from /etc/ to
> /var/db/freebsd-update/merge/new/etc/?

What you are editing is a copy of the master.passwd file held in
freebsd-update's work area, which it will only move into place once you
run 'freebsd-update install' So fluffing the merge edit is not going to
immediately screw up your system.  It should be possible to overwrite
the copy of master.passwd in freebsd-update's prep area -- no idea if
that works, but I can't see any reason why not.  However it's not a
usual thing to do, and you'ld be better advised to not screw up the
merge edits.

One thing that may help you: by default freebsd-update uses vi as the
default editor for these merge conflict resolutions.  You can substitute
whatever editor you prefer simply by setting the EDITOR environment
variable before you start.  Many editors will recognise you're dealing
with a merge conflict and put you into a special mode to make that easier.

I don't know why it's asking you about /etc/passwd as that's a file
derived directly from master.passwd -- don't worry too much about it,
and just run 'pwd_mkdb -p' before you reboot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.