freebsd-update questions

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Jan 28 07:16:24 UTC 2015

On 2015/01/28 02:50, Andrew Gould wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Brian W. <brian at brianwhalen.net> wrote:
>
>> A key thing to watch for in the conf files is that markers will be put in
>> place so you can see what's new; those need to be deleted.
>>
> When I attempted an upgrade to 10.1-RELEASE, I got a message that certain
> configuration files couldn't be merged and that I should hit the enter
> button to merge them manually in vi.
>
> In vi, the first line was a series of left pointing arrows and a reference
> to version 10.0.   That was followed by the content of the new
> configuration file. (I think it was new because the lines I added to the
> existing files weren't there.)
>
> The last line was a series of right pointing errors and a reference to
> version 10.1.
>
> What am I supposed to do to keep the old configuration file contents?
> There are no instructions.

This is freebsd-update asking you to resolve conflicts in a three-way
merge between the file as supplied with the old version of FreeBSD, the
equivalent in the new version, and the file that is actually present on
your system.  The >>>>>>>>, ========= and <<<<<<<< markers are a
standard convention for indicating where there were areas of the file
that were changed differently between old --> new and old --> what's on
your system: what is generally called a 'merge conflict.'

Edit the file so it has the contents you want.  The sections indicated
by >>>>>>> etc markers are usually smaller than the whole file.  It's
important to remove all the markers in those files, or various things
may not start up correctly when you reboot.

	Cheers,

	Matthew