Bacula 7.0.5 suddenly unable to resolve host names.

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Tue Jan 27 02:57:37 UTC 2015

I have a FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p4 system running Bacula 7.0.5 in a jail.
That suddenly (backups ran just after midnight this morning without
errors) can't resolve host names. I was unable to run my commands to
switch out my external hard drive for a new weeks worth of backups.
After some investigation I was only able to get the system back up and
running by editing all of my Bacula configuration files and replacing
the fully qualified domain host names with their IP Addresses. I can do
nslookup (have bind-tools installed in jail) and get the IPs for every
host name instantaneously, so no problem with DNS. I can alos use the
host command followed by the host name, no issues there either.

Anyone have any ideas what to check as to how the system resolves the
host names to IPs that might be broken causing the Bacula programs to
have issues?

I tried reinstalling the Bacula ports, rebooting the jail, nothing seems
to resolve it, debugging doesn't issue any notice about name resolution,
at debug level 300 it just lists a timeout connecting. Though I haven't
been able to find much on baculas debugging levels yet. I may do more
testing tomorrow evening with higher levels to see if I can get an error
that means something useful.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer