[Semi-OT] SFF-8087 to eSata?

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Tue Jan 27 00:14:18 UTC 2015

On 01/26/2015 12:25 PM, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to connect an external enclosure for SATA drives
> which comes with a single eSata connector for 8 drives in
> JBOD mode on one side (it's an IcyBox IB-3680SU3) to an
> HBA which comes with 2 external SFF-8087 connectors
> for 4 drives each (that's an Avago SAS HBA 9207-8e, which
> supports up to 1024 HDDs according to specs).

That HBA has an SFF-8088 port (well, two), not SFF-8087. SFF-8088 is
external, the 8087 variant is internal, and looks completely different.

It looks like the enclosure funnels all disks through a single link,
probably via something like a SATA port multiplier if you're lucky; but
as the glossy pointedly leaves out support for anything but Windows 7/8
and OSX, it may well be a proprietary driver necessary to expose all
eight bays. If my experience with similar setups is any indication,
you're likely to want to toss this thing down the stairs in short order.

> I'm trying to set up an external ZFS pool on those 8 drives.

I did something similar, but chose to dedicate a link to each drive
instead of faffing about with expanders or port multipliers. An LSI
9207-8e HBA, two Addonics AD4SMSAS bridges, a little creative dremeling,
and a couple Amphenol SFF-8088 cables hooked up two enclosures nicely.

> Now, I'm wondering what kind of cable or cable wizardry
> I need to get both SFF-8087 with the single JBOD eSata
> port connected. Is that possible at all?

SFF-8087 and SFF-8088 both carry four SAS/SATA links; in theory, you
would only need one, so something like this[1] would be most useful for
you. The other seven lanes could be used for other things.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JQ51CM

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo