buildworld, buildkernel, and devel/cache

Scott Bennett bennett at sdf.org
Mon Jan 26 12:45:36 UTC 2015

     On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:24:22 +0200 Ivan Klymenko <fidaj at ukr.net> wrote:

>? Mon, 26 Jan 2015 00:02:04 -0600
>Scott Bennett <bennett at sdf.org> ?????:
>
>>      I am now running FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE (amd64) r277396 and have
>> installed devel/ccache.  In /etc/make.conf I have
>>
>> WITH_CCACHE_BUILD=yes
>> CCACHE_CPP2=1
>>
>> In /etc/src.conf I have
>>
>> WITH_LLDB=
>>
>> In /root/.profile I have
>>
>> CCACHE_DIR=/buildwork/ccache
>> export PATH=/usr/local/libexec/ccache:$PATH
>> export CCACHE_PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>>
>> In /root/.cshrc.extensions, a file I source from /root/.cshrc, I have
>>
>> setenv CCACHE_DIR /buildwork/ccache
>> setenv PATH /usr/local/libexec/ccache:$PATH
>> setenv CCACHE_PATH /usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
>>
>>      ccache seems to be working just fine for building ports with
>> portmaster, but I don't see any evidence that either "make
>> buildworld" or "make buildkernel" make any use of ccache at all.
>> I've searched the archives for several FreeBSD lists, but haven't
>> turned up anything helpful.  If someone knows what I need to do to
>> get ccache involved in buildworld and buildkernel, would you share it
>> here please?  I would very much like to reduce the times for those
>> builds.  Also, if so, please Cc me directly because I'm currently
>> subscribed only to the digest form of these lists, which means I may
>> not see responses until the digest arrives, which is often a day or
>> more after a followup is posted. Thanks greatly for any help on this!
>>

>This file is in some ways you can
>help /usr/local/share/doc/ccache/ccache-howto-freebsd.txt

     I had read that and hadn't seen how that would work, but after seeing
your reply, I tried adding the three lines to /etc/make.conf and got errors,
like I had expected:

make: "/etc/make.conf" line 18: Missing dependency operator
make: RE substitution error: repetition-operator operand invalid
make: Unclosed substitution for CXX (, missing)
make: "/etc/make.conf" line 20: Undefined variable "${CXX:C,^c++,/usr/local/libexec/ccache/world/c++,1}"
make: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
make: stopped in /usr/src

     So my question remains.  Please respond if you have something that
you have tried and know works.
     Thanks in advance.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *