libpng16.so.16 not found

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Mon Jan 26 06:49:18 UTC 2015

My FreeBSD muse suggested I might be a better result from a site I was testing
by using Chrome. Installing the chromium package begot the not found in the
subject running firefox. There was a similar problem with chrome itself.

As I run xfce on a 10.0 system, my first attempt was to see if I could fix the
issue. The following set of pkg commands posed on FreeBSD forum by Anil-G:

    pkg check --shlibs -nva | grep -v done
    pkg version -vRL=|less
    pkg upgrade -n

seemed promising. The first command yields the shared libs that need to be
upgraded. The version command lists packages that need updated and the upgrade
command tell you what will be upgraded. Check showed only one library for firefox
but the upgrade command indicated 100s of thing to be replaced and/or updated
included Xorg and Xfce. So I tried replacing the one lib. This lead to a series
of changes eventually breaking midori. At this point I "gave up and ran the
whole process in single user mode. This took less that 15-20 minutes and worked
perfectly. 'pkg autoremove' then removed the orphaned packages.

To me this is the 'holy grail' of X-windows on FreeBSD. Would portupgrade or
postmaster have allowed me to skip updating Xfce and Xorg? If not what
advantages do they offer at this point?

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com