i915 at boot

mortoxa mortoxa at gmx.com
Thu Jan 22 11:37:58 UTC 2015

On 01/22/15 18:53, David Benfell wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 09:48:50PM -0600, Adam Vande More wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 8:24 PM, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>      hw.vga.textmode=1
>>
>> Change to 0
>>
> *THAT* made a difference. The font is still large, but visibly
> different.
>
> In dmesg, I'm still seeing:
>
> VT: running with driver "vga".
> KLD file i915.ko is missing dependencies
> KLD file i915kms.ko is missing dependencies
>
> I *did* check to see if I could still get back to a console from X
> with that setting. I can. Yay!
>
> loader.conf now looks like this:
>
> crypto_load="YES"
> aesni_load="YES"
> geom_eli_load="YES"
> zfs_load="YES"
> kern.vty=vt
> hw.vga.textmode=0
> if_tap_load="YES"
> i915_load="YES"
> i915kms_load="YES"
> kern.vt.fb.default_mode="1366x768"
>
> What next?
>
> Thanks!

I had some trouble with the i915 module when I loaded it via
loader.conf. It just went to a black screen and I had to reset the box.

I read somewhere about adding it to /etc/rc.conf as follows:

kld_list="i915kms"

and deleting the i915kms_load"YES" from loader.conf

It seems having it loaded later in the boot process make it behave
itself better on my system. Might be worth a try on yours.