IPFilter & FreeBSD-10.1

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 07:11:29 UTC 2015

On 22 January 2015 at 04:23, Ernie Luzar <luzar722 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>
>> On Wed, January 21, 2015 3:29 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Shane,
>>>
>>> Where is the new syntax documented? Or I just have to 'man ipf'? I'd love
>>> to see a web discussion about it, which I obviously missed.
>>>
>>> Is there a sort of rule converter? :-)
>>>
>>> Thank you for mentioning this syntax thing. Must be the one that was
>>> biting
>>> me on 10.1

>> I wonder if anyone knows URl of official website of ipfilter. Both project
>> info on sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipfilter/) and
>> wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPFilter) point at the
>> place
>> which apparently doesn't exist so you end up getting just front page of
>> the university: http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/ ...
>>
>> One does want to read the documentation to be able to keep using ipfilter
>> on FreBSD 10.x (as one did on FreeBSD 9.x in the past). And with syntax
>> changed, one does have to read Documentation (and here brilliant FreeBSD
>> documentation seems to be outdated...)
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your answers!
>>
>> Valeri
>>

> I moved my 8 production machines from 9.2 to 10.1 and my 9.2 IPFilter
> rules worked
> just fine on 10.1. It also has a private LAN and users can reach the
> public network.
> Matter of fact I have been using the same IPF rules since version 3.4.
>
> I find it hard to believe that as popular as IPFilter is no one else has
> voiced any problems about it.
> Your problem is a major show stopper and should be effecting ALL IPFilter
> users if it was a IPF software
> or 10.1 bug.
>
> IPFilter does not have any syntax chances. I pretty much use the IPF rule
> set as shown in the handbook.
> On the other hand PF does have major syntax differences between the old
> back version FreeBSD is running and
> the current version openbsd documentation shows. Maybe PF-IPF is what the
>
> Rest assured, IPFiter does work on 10.1. Something changed on your system.
> Check all the basic IPF config files.
> Lan not reaching pubic network may mean your ipf.nat file is missing or
> codded wrong.

The same rules which refused to work on 10.1 are working on 9.3. All I had
to change were the interface names and the IP subnets. Trust me I verified
and ensured that I did not mix up the names.

If you want, I am willing to give someone access to my box to try and get
this to work.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,