freebsd-update questions

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Jan 12 07:40:49 UTC 2015

On 12/01/2015 04:08, Andrew Gould wrote:
> I ran 'freebsd-update fetch', but forgot to run 'freebsd-update install'.
> Later, I decided to upgrade, to 10.1, so I ran 'freebsd-update -r
> 10.1-RELEASE upgrade'.  So now I have fetched an update and an upgrade.
> What will happen if I run 'freebsd-update install'?
>
> Is there a way to delete what has been fetched and start over?

Yeah.  'freebsd-update fetch' or 'freebsd-update -r X.Y-RELEASE upgrade'
prepare a set of patches to install in order to effect an update.  If
you run one of them but then subsequently omit the 'freebsd-update
install' step, then run either of those commands again, if the target
version has changed in the mean time (flipping between 'fetch' and
'upgrade' counts), it will download a new set of patches to update the
installed system to the new desired version.  This will take advantage
of any patches already downloaded and sitting in freebsd-update's cache,
but otherwise it recreates the update job from scratch.  It will ignore
any patches not relevant to the update you requested.

So the way you start over is to rerun your 'fetch' or 'upgrade' command,
but only if there are new patches to download.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.