custom full disk encryption with ZFS

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 23:38:08 UTC 2015

> Is there a resource that shows how to create a custom full disk encryption
> with ZFS, something similar to LVM on LUKS in Linux?

I use geli(8), which is documented here (scroll down past the
alternative gdbe option unless that interests you):
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-encrypting.html

As per the previous response, you will need to keep /boot unencrypted to
allow freebsd to boot, but the rest of the disk can be encrypted with geli,
and zfs running on top of geli.

I actually use it slightly differently. Since I don't care about encrypting
my operating system files, i keep my data storage on a separate partition
or disk, which is encrypted with geli with zfs on top.

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02 at gmail.com