Questions from a Linux refugee

Lev leventelist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:11:08 UTC 2015

Sorry for my ignorance, I am a Linux refugee.

I learned that Debian is also goes with the systemd nightmare, so I started to
look around and install other OSs.

So I started using FreeBSD, and I kinda liked it, but there were several "show
stoppers", so for the time being I had to go back to Debian.

My greatest concern were these. I ask here, maybe I missed something and I can
move to FreeBSD.

1. Lack of ext4 support. As a Linux user, I have lots of disks with ext4
partition, and I simply wanted to copy files, but failed. I might be naive,
but ext4 is open, so why can't FreeBSD have native support for ext4?

2. I have a PCI-serial interface card that stopped booting the kernel. It said
something like "not standard serial port". According to lspci on Linux this
is:

NetMos Technology PCI 9845 Multi-I/O Controller

3. Package system. I wanted to install scilab. There is (?) no binary package
for it, and the compilation took ages. After I had it, the next update deleted
it along with other packages. How to deal with the upgrades?

Thank you for your answers, and I hope one day I will be a FreeBSD user.

73! de HA5OGL
Levente