CURRENT: Intel Haswell KMS support?

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Mon Jan 5 08:35:52 UTC 2015

On 05/01/2015 02:33, Gregory Orange wrote:
> Hi Arthur,
>
> On 01/01/15 19:19, Arthur Chance wrote:
>> This is being written on a machine with an Intel i7-4790K CPU (Devil's
>> Canyon, i.e. Haswell) and a Dell U2711 2560x1440 monitor. The X VESA
>> driver works fine for me at native resolution. OK, I'm not a gamer and I
>> don't do anything that needs fast 3D, but it works well enough that my
>> first thought after reading the original post was "Haswell graphics
>> aren't supported???" because I'd completely forgotten I was using the
>> VESA driver. Using a vt console rather than sc I have no problem
>> dropping out of X back into console mode either.
>
> I think this is the problem I'm facing - can you clarify and assist if
> possible? I have a Haswell i3 which runs X fine with vesa, but when I
> quit X, the machine crashes hard and requires holding the power button.

The problem with sc and the new X system is that on return from X to
console mode the sc driver can't regain control of the screen to display
anything. It doesn't crash, but you get a black screen so you might
think it's not responding. In fact, if you (carefully) type "shutdown -r
now" (or any other command) it will respond. If that's what's happening,
switching to the vt driver will help. If you're genuinely getting a
crash though it's not an sc versus vt problem.

To use the vt driver on my system I have the following two lines in
/boot/loader.conf

kern.vty=vt
i915kms_load="YES"

Try that (and reboot of course) and see what happens.

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1