package availability question ....

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 5 01:44:14 UTC 2015

> On Jan 4, 2015, at 6:29 PM, William A. Mahaffey III <wam at hiwaay.net> wrote:
>

> .... I type the following as root & get the output below:
>
> [root at kabini1, /etc, 7:32:25pm] 351 % pkg rquery -a '%n-%v' | grep -i docker
> docker-1.5_8
> [root at kabini1, /etc, 7:32:42pm] 352 %
>
> Is this the same package documented here:
>
> https://www.docker.com/
>
> Just checking, fabulous if it is :-) .... If it is, has anyone tried it out ? How did it go ? C'mon, inquiring minds wanna know ;-) .... TIA & have a happy new year.

Unfortunately no it appears. From freshports.org http://www.freshports.org/x11/docker/:
"Docker is a docking application (WindowMaker dock app) which acts as a system tray for KDE3 and GNOME2. It can be used to replace the panel in either environment, allowing you to have a system tray without running the KDE/GNOME panel. WWW: http://icculus.org/openbox/2/docker/"
My understanding is that Docker is not compatible with FreeBSD due to kernel requirements, and that jails reportedly serve a similar, if incompatible, purpose, but I could be completely wrong.

Dale