minor syslog issue

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Apr 30 15:16:33 UTC 2015

On 2015/04/30 15:17, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> I missed that (high port #, thought it might be a process #, *new* to
> tcpdump et al :-/ ) .... Could that be a mal/mis-configuration in the
> (rather beta) NetBSD ARM port ? I will try the updated syslogd flag &
> see how that goes. Thanks :-).

Dunno.  FreeBSD syslogd sends /from/ port 514 as well as to port 514 --
which is the traditional behaviour from way back when... of a lot of UDP
based services.  NTP still does this, DNS used to do that until
Kaminsky, and now it most definitely *doesn't* do that.  More recent
code tends to just use arbitrary ports on the sending side -- I believe
rsyslog (which is the Linux standard) works like that.  No idea how
NetBSD behaves.

	Cheers,

	Matthew