tunneling L2 tagged traffic over IP

Victor Sudakov vas at mpeks.tomsk.su
Thu Apr 30 06:08:43 UTC 2015

Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:

> On 04/28/15 05:40, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> > Fine. Maybe there are other ways to tunnel Ethernet without relying on
> > if_bridge ?
>
> Then there is netgraph bridging, netgraph bridging AFAIK doesn't have
> this feature, it doesn't filter out special MACs.
>
> You can ask at net@ for a script/help I believe.

I definitely will because I have found a strange thing.

The re0 NIC receives both tagged and untagged frames from a switch.
When I monitor the incoming traffic with "nghook -a re0: lower", I see
that both tagged and untagged frames are merged into one untagged
stream, i.e. ng_ether somehow strips the vlan tag from frames.

If I only knew how to obtain unmodified frames for further processing
within the netgraph system, I would know how to build my transparent
tunnel.

I have not found any relevant messages or options I could set for
ng_ether (like NGM_ETHER_SET_DONT_TOUCH_ANYTHING_DAMN_YOU maybe).

--
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
sip:sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru