can pf load-balance UDP?

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Tue Apr 28 20:01:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am sorry, I do not have a FreeBSD machine around at the moment,
otherwise I would have checked myself.

I am looking at options to load-balance log messages sent to a central
logserver (at the moment, we are favouring the ever present
logstash/elasticsearch stack). Examining the "shipment" of logs from
the producer to logstash, we try to keep the footprint of the shipping
mechanism low and standard.

Eventually, we will need to load balance the log messages, which has
led me to question how to load balance UDP. I know OpenBSD and FreeBSD
pf can load balance TCP.

     # RDR ROUND ROBIN
     # Translate incoming web server connections to a group of web servers on
     # the internal network.
     rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any to any port 80 \
	   -> {	10.1.2.155, 10.1.2.160,	10.1.2.161 } round-robin

Does anybody know about UDP for that matter or is load balancing UDP
done differently?

Many thanks, cheers,
--
Christopher