dig command ?

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Tue Apr 28 10:56:39 UTC 2015

On 04/28/15 11:34, Arthur Chance wrote:
> It didn't. What we've got now is a clone of host supplied by the unbound
> software.
>
> No, I've no idea why they didn't clone nslookup and dig as well. :-(

Because cloning host(1) is easy.  Cloning nslookup(1) -- replicating its
peculiar behaviour with the reasonably sane tools bundled with
unbound(8) -- is hard, and not worth it for a program that is in any
case deprecated.  Cloning dig(1) is not so hard, so long as you stick to
basic operations. In fact, there is a dig-alike that comes with unbound:
drill(1).

However, when you get down to the niggling details, dig and drill behave
significantly differently.  In some limited areas, drill is superior,
but generally dig allows exceedingly fine-grained control over
generating DNS queries and displaying the results.  Basically, if
drill(1) doesn't cut it for you and you want dig(1) specifically, then
install bind-tools.

	Cheers,

	Matthew