Disk space allocation

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sat Apr 18 03:54:38 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:25:48 -0400
Alex Merritt <merritt.alex at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 10:07 AM, lokadamus at gmx.de <lokadamus at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On 04/15/15 20:45, Alex Merritt wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > File systems such as ext3/4 reserve some amount of space for
> > > allocation only by privileged users, which can be adjusted, e.g.
> > >
> > > tune2fs -m reserved-blocks-percentage /dev/sdaN

same as FreeBSD.

> > > I installed a BSD system using Virtualbox, giving it an 8GB disk,
> > > but
> > 'df'
> > > shows an aggregate size among all mount points to be less than the
> > > capacity. The minfree parameter to tunefs defaults to 8% (see
> > > below) but
> > 8%
> > > does not account for the difference in 8189MB capacity vs sum of
> > > ca. 6G among all file systems (shown by df). There's ca. 27% of
> > > capacity unavailable.

There is space required to manage the disk too.

> > Which filesystem and FreeBSD Version you are using?
> > UFS/ UFS2 have an option, that in default setting 10% are reserved.
> > So you can use your partition with 110%.

But only root can write into this extra space.

> > Greetings
> >

> I am using DragonFly BSD, and "geom" does not seem to be in the
> package repository. I mailed here assuming it is not a distro-specific
> characteristic.

geom is part of FreeBSD. It do not know if PC-BSD compiles it into the
kernel.

> The file system is UFS. What do you mean use it with 110%?

Root can use above 100% of the nominal capacity of drive. I am not so
sure if it really is 110% but it is a figure above 100% and this figure
can be tuned when the file system is not mounted.

Erich