ZFS Volumes, UFS, and TRIM

Bigby James bigby.james at dimthoughts.com
Tue Apr 14 18:28:10 UTC 2015

Hey folks. I'm having some trouble finding info on a specific ZFS use case: I'm
wondering if a ZFS volume on an SSD, formatted to UFS, is covered by native ZFS
TRIM support, or if it needs to be enabled on the "embedded" UFS filesystem
written to the zvol itself. I see by the man page that by default the OS sees
the volume as an ordinary GEOM device, which leads me to infer that TRIM needs
to be set using newfs(8) or tunefs(8), but I'm uncertain. Thanks in advance for
any help.

- Bigby

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams