Use "kdesu" in KDE

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Apr 13 00:58:43 UTC 2015

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:47:51 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:
>On Sunday 12 Apr 2015 07:20:53 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 21:55:16 +0100, Mike Clarke wrote:
>> >It's still there - /usr/local/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
>>
>> Lot of folks prefer
>>
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/polkit/docs/0.105/pkexec.1.html
>>
>> over kdesu.
>
>Interesting, I wasn't aware of that.
>
>But can it cope with opening a window on the desktop without needing
>to mess with xhost, .Xauthority and DISPLAY ?

I'm not using pkexec myself, but I'm using xhost like a
sledgehammer on my Linux, since there it's needed even when using kdesu
or gksudo.

xhost +
gksudo -u chuser "$*"
xhost -

Don't try this at home! On my machine it's ok to use xhost that way.

I don't want to boot FreeBSD now. Are you sure that xhost isn't needed
for kdesu on FreeBSD, if you run something as another user, excepted
root?