Use "kdesu" in KDE

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Sat Apr 11 20:55:31 UTC 2015

On Saturday 11 Apr 2015 21:14:12 Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 21:03:12 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > Hmmm:
> >

> > $ kdesu date
> > sh: kdesu: not found
>
> Thanks for verifying! Interesting that it's not part of
> KDE anymore...

It's still there - /usr/local/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu

curlew:/home/mike% pkg which /usr/local/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu
/usr/local/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu was installed by package kde-runtime-4.14.3

I think it's  in libexec because it's not normally expected to be invoked from
the command line but is utilised by the menu editor and ALT+F2 when you tick
the box to run a program as a different user.

> On the other hand, I remember that KDE had some built-in
> means to "switch to root" (at least on Linux), but I
> cannot remember where this option was located or how it
> was called.

That's kdesu

> > But, who needs 'kdesu' is you have a terminal, xterm, ... and 'su'

Kdesu enables you to open new windows as root without needing to mess with
xhost or .Xauthority. Useful for running things like wireshark.

--
Mike Clarke