wheel group

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Apr 11 19:43:33 UTC 2015

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 01:04:10 +0530, arnab bhowmick wrote:
> ok.... as you explained now if i add my user to the "wheel" group then i
> have to re install the whole system as their is no other way to add my user
> account to the wheel group. am i wright?

No. Why should that be right? It sounds totally wrong. :-)

I have explained how to add your username to the "wheel"
group. It's actually very easy and a one-time task.

> if yes, then now i have to put the
> dvd again and have to start the process from the begaining....
> [?][?] what a
> boring

Definitely not. Just follow the instructions provided,
while carefully watching what you're doing. You don't
need the installation DVD for this administration task.
Please refer to the explanation provided earlier.

Logging in as root at a virtual terminal and entering

	# pw usermod <username> -G wheel

should be sufficient. Check with

	% groups <username>

for your account after switching back to KDE.

Again: There is NO NEED to re-install the whole system
just because you add your user to an additional group.

Here are a few pointers to relevant documentation:

"man su"

http://www.freebsddiary.org/su.php

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#idp59613648

As you can see, it's neither hard or complicated.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany