Compilation taking too long time

Pratik Singhal ps06756 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:38:47 UTC 2015

Hello, I am new to freeBSD and trying to contribute to freeBSD.  I have a
small question.

Whenever I make a small change in the kernel, say apply a patch which only
affects 1 or 2 files and compile the kernel using the command :-

make KERNCONF=config_file buildkernel

It takes a lot of time (around 1 hour) and starts rebuilding the whole
kernel instead of just building the relevant files.

I have checked the freeBSD handbook and checked the targets in Makefile ,
but none of them provide information about this situation.

How, can I make sure that only the relevant files are built and not the
whole kernel again and again ?