Bash Shellshock Bug

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 30 15:02:56 UTC 2014

On 09/30/14 14:28, Polytropon wrote:
> Again note: Make a backup (!) of your current /usr/ports
> tree before you start! Updating the ports tree is possible,
> but probably you don't even have portsnap on FreeBSD 6 yet.
> I'm not sure when it has been introduced, but I assume it
> was somewhere betweeen FreeBSD 7 and 8...
>
> This is how you would do it:
>
> 	# portsnap fetch update
> 	# cd /usr/ports/shells/bash
> 	# make deinstall
> 	# make
> 	# make reinstall
>
> If you have any other means to update your ports tree (CVS
> was the standard at FreeBSD 6, I don't know if this is still
> supported, as FreeBSD now uses Subversion), you could also
> try the equivalent with binary packages:
>
> 	# portsnap fetch update
> 	# portupgrade -P bash

Neither of these approaches will work with the current ports tree on
anything older than FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE.  You'll get syntax errors while
trying to parse the Makefiles used in the ports certainly because of a
change in the way you tell make to map strings to upper or lower case
(eg. ${VAR:L} changed to ${VAR:tl}) and quite possibly for other reasons.

Nor will the current ports tree work with anything other than pkg(8).
We haven't tried compiling pkg(8) on anything that old -- it might work,
but I sincerely doubt it.

	Cheers,

	Matthew