Bash Shellshock Bug

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Tue Sep 30 10:06:14 UTC 2014

On 09/30/14 10:10, Sandeep Gangadharan1 wrote:
> Is there anyway to get patch for my FreeBSD 6.2 . If  I enable internet
> connection is it possible.
> I cannot upgrade the version right now.
>
> Can you please share the method of upgrading the package.

You're using a version of FreeBSD that is long out of support and that
itself has a number of known security problems.  Not only that, it is so
old that you can't use a recent version of the ports tree on it.

Therefore your only options are:

   1) Upgrade or reinstall the machine using a recent and supported
      version of FreeBSD.  This is what I would choose unless there was
      a very good reason why not.[*]

   2) Build bash manually from sources outside of the ports system.
      This will screw up your ability to manage updating it cleanly in
      future.

   3) Delete bash entirely and force all your users to use a different
      shell.  Converting shell scripts from bash to sh is frequently
      trivial, but may involve some significant refactoring depending
      on what code constructs are in use.

	Cheers,

	Matthew