pkg must be version 1.3.8 or greater

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 24 14:39:53 UTC 2014

Just deal with same for SquirrelMail. I had already installed SquirrelMail
as a binary package, but then realized the LDAP option wasn't turned on so
had to compile from ports (which is when I got the dreaded error "pkg(8)
must be version 1.3.8 or greater, but you have 1.3.7. You must upgrade
pkg(8) first.").

# pkg upgrade   (nothing)
# portsnap fetch update  (a few)
# pkg install portmaster
# portmaster pkg (equivalent of "pkg delete pkg-xxx" followed by "make
install clean", but wasn't sure about pkg deleting itself so used
portmaster)
# cd /usr/ports/mail/squirrelmail
# pkg delete squirrelmail
# make config
# make install clean
# pkg lock squirrelmail-20140717_1 (to prevent pkg in future from upgrading
squirrelmail using the default binary package and losing the LDAP option)

Regards,
Dale