is pkg saying courier and postfix are incompatible?

Dale Scott dalescott at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 19 14:12:42 UTC 2014

> On Sep 19, 2014, at 1:25 AM, Arthur Chance <freebsd at qeng-ho.org> wrote:
>
>> On 19/09/2014 07:44, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>>> On 19/09/2014 00:28, Dale Scott wrote:
>>> I installed postfix-2.11.1_4,1 as a pkg and just noticed "pkg info
>>> postfix" reports DOVECOT and OPENLDAP options are off. Do I need
>>> these in my scenarios? I didn't put a ports tree on this system to
>>> see if it was possible to build a system from packages only, but am
>>> also not averse to recognizing it was pipe dream (and remember how to
>>> use portmaster again).
>>
>> You can use postfix with dovecot without having to enable the DOVECOT
>> option -- as I recall, that's something to do with postfix using the
>> dovecot authentication mechanisms.
>
> That's correct, it's to enable postfix to use dovecot's SASL interface to authorise users when postfix requires authorisation for mail submission. Much nicer to have one mechanism rather than two that might get out of sync. However, if authorisation is enforced via /etc/passwd or LDAP, you've already got your mechanism so don't need dovecot's.
>
>> You only need OPENLDAP turned on for postfix if you want to use ldap
>> lookups.  (Well Duh!) For a stand-alone system without many users, ldap
>> is overkill, and you would generally be better off using lmdb or bdb
>> files instead (I prefer lmdb -- seems simpler and to have fewer overheads).
>
> And it's fast, if you have a lot of mail to process.
>
>>> Is there anything special needed in Dovecot?
>>
>> No.  Either you configure postfix to use dovecot's delivery agent, or
>> you make postfix speak LMTP to dovecot: from dovecot's perspective it
>> doesn't need to know anything about or do anything differently depending
>> on what MTA you're using.
>
> LMTP has the advantage that postfix and dovecot can be in separate jails for extra security.

Thanks for all the help. I'm building a fully *self-contained* proof-of-concept business system with MantisBT as an ISO9000 issue tracker, Tryton for managing equipment and material loaned to client jobs and returned, OpenLDAP for single point of authentication (enterprise is MS AD), and mail working between users, Mantis and Tryton. I'll use Mutt in the first round of demos, but will provide RoundCube for demo users to access mail themselves (once virtual mail users are working). I'm ignoring security for now, too much to learn, create keys and configure, and the IT group will have their own ideas anyway if the POC proceeds to production. Hopefully it won't look too disjointed, the alternative is maybe funding in 2016 for the IT team to build the same thing but with better icons (and by clicking through MS wizards ;-))

It could be a nice bonus if I could use my desktop Outlook client to retrieve all the mail from Dovecot via pop3 and forward it into the enterprise system so demo users could really experience the POC, but the POC can't connect directly to any enterprise services (e.g mail) for now. Any comments on this approach?

Dale