A lot of pkg problems

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Wed Sep 17 07:38:35 UTC 2014

On 16/09/2014 21:25, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> Coert:
>> Upgraded to version 1.3.7, was on an older one indeed. Was running
>> 1.2.4_1 Still having issues though, for now I just stick to release/0
>> and pkg version 1.2.4_1 Going to try an upgrade later
> I really don't know why pkg should be used in this stage. I seldom have
> seen so much negative side effects with using a program as with this one.
> Is the program not tested thouroughly or am I just too stupid to
> understand? Last time I used it, my complete php port system got damaged
> and had to reinstall BSD from scratch in order to get my active ports in
> line again.

What you're seeing all comes from people who are having problems with
pkg. Those of us for whom it just works generally don't bother saying
anything. I was a relatively early adopter of pkg and have had exactly
one problem, which was caused by forgetting to read /usr/ports/UPDATING
first.

> Please understand that writing this is no offence to the author of pkg;
> I really respect all effort that is put in it - I just don't understand
> why it causes me/us so much trouble using it.

Have you tried building your own repository? That would avoid potential
version discrepancies between ports and the main repo.