How to have jails checked for out of date applications.

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Sep 17 01:50:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, Brandon Schneider wrote:

> Hello everyone, a FreeBSD newbie here. I have my server set up with 8 jails
> or so, and I have been trying to figure out how to get an email when there
> are out of date applications installed in a jail. I currently have jailaudit
> installed, but it seems like "pkg version -vIL\= would serve the purpose on
> the host, but I'm not sure. I'm sure this is a common question, but I cannot
> seem to find an answer on Google. The jails are a mix of packages and ports
> if that makes much difference. I also use portmaster for the ports.

That will not work as-is.  It will only look at the host's package
database.  To check the jails, see the pkg-version(8) man page about the
PKG_DBDIR environment variable.  Set that to the jail's package database
directory, like /usr/jails/myjail/var/db/pkg, and then pkg-version will
check the jail's packages.