jme interface bounces up and down, up and down....

Yonghyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 00:58:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 05:53:51PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 05:27 PM 9/16/2014, Chris Hill wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, Brett Glass wrote:
> >
> >>So, what is the best solution? I cannot throw out the machine, and
> >>because I am using a VLAN switch to multiplex the port to three LANs
> >>I do not want to reduce the speed to 100 Mbps. Ideas?
> >
> >The man page mentioned says that if "the link partner enabled the
> >IEEE 802.3az Energy Efficient Ethernet feature, the controller
> >will not be able to establish a 1000baseT link." Maybe disable
> >802.3az on that port, if you can. Just a thought.
>
> It's a Netgear "green" switch, model GS105E. It has no way to disable
> 802.3az.

Then, probably the only available option to establish a link against
the switch would be using reduced speed(100Mbps) with ifconfig(8).
If you can't reduce the speed due to other reasons I'm afraid there
is no way to establish a link at this moment.  As I said in previous
mail, did you check what resolved speed Linux shows?

Also it would be good idea to know whether you're really seeing the
PHY hardware issue or not.  Directly connect the jme(4) to other
box without switch and see whether jme(4) can establish a 1000baseT
link.