Request for buildworld clarification

Michael Sierchio kudzu at tenebras.com
Fri Sep 12 17:00:14 UTC 2014

On Sep 10, 2014 11:42 PM, "Adam Vande More" <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:08:59 -0600, Dave Babb wrote:
> > > Good Afternoon All,
> > >

> > > I am requesting a clarification on make buildworld. I am junior with
> > > FreeBSD (< 8 months)...and I am getting confused with Gentoo's
> > > definition of build world, and FreeBSD's.
> >
> > FreeBSD, unlike Linux, is separated in "the operating system"
> > (consisting of "world" and "kernel"), and "everything else",
> > which is what the ports collection contains (ports, packages
> > and the like).
>

> This is the right definition.  To put it in a real world context, go on a
> test linux system and delete every package.  Try to recover.   Now do the
> same on a test FreeBSD system.  After you have done this, you will
> understand the advantages of separating the OS and  applications.

I agree, but there are packages in the base system that are not managed as
packages.  Even though there is general consensus that these are part of a
"minimal" install, they should be in the pkg db to facilitate clean removal
or replacement. In the past, sendmail and bind fit into this category.

- M