S + J for /tmp and /var and /?

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 10 20:37:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 09:09:47AM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:

> On a CURRENT 11.0 box (most recent version) I run into problems when rebooting the system
> via "reboot" command. In most cases, the system restarts with a cot clean dismounted "/"
> root filesystem. Another box, also most recent CURRENT, very offen ends up at the console
> complaining about unclean /tmp filesystem (bot systems do have a GPT layout and UFS/FFS
> filesystem for the OS/base system).
>
> On "/" and "/tmp" as well as "/var" I have enabled soft-updates and journaling (S + J).
> I'd like to ask what the official FreeBSD recommendation would be to that matter. I have
> disabled for now journaling, looking whether it will help to solve the problem or not.
>
> Box number one (first box I mentioned above) is a gateway system, operating with PPPoE and
> this seems to make problems when crashing (power loss) or "reboot"-ing the box (normal
> "shutdown -r now" works fine). Disabling the PPPoE facility makes the system more robust
> against power failure/reboot "rougeness".

Just as a data-point, I don't have a problem on 10-STABLE with SU+J when using
shutdown(8). I tend to only use reboot in single-user mode, which also doesn't
give any problems.

> Are there any suggestions for UFS/FFS regarding S+J were to enable and were better not to
> eanble?

You should definitely disable journaling when you want to make snapshots, e.g.
to dump a live filesystem. Quote https://wiki.freebsd.org/NewFAQs:

    If you want to use snapshot (dump -L) then disable the soft updates
    journal for that filesystem

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)