S + J for /tmp and /var and /?

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 10 07:09:56 UTC 2014

On a CURRENT 11.0 box (most recent version) I run into problems when rebooting the system
via "reboot" command. In most cases, the system restarts with a cot clean dismounted "/"
root filesystem. Another box, also most recent CURRENT, very offen ends up at the console
complaining about unclean /tmp filesystem (bot systems do have a GPT layout and UFS/FFS
filesystem for the OS/base system).

On "/" and "/tmp" as well as "/var" I have enabled soft-updates and journaling (S + J).
I'd like to ask what the official FreeBSD recommendation would be to that matter. I have
disabled for now journaling, looking whether it will help to solve the problem or not.

Box number one (first box I mentioned above) is a gateway system, operating with PPPoE and
this seems to make problems when crashing (power loss) or "reboot"-ing the box (normal
"shutdown -r now" works fine). Disabling the PPPoE facility makes the system more robust
against power failure/reboot "rougeness".

Please CC me.

Are there any suggestions for UFS/FFS regarding S+J were to enable and were better not to
eanble?

Kind regards,

Oliver