freebsd-update problems 9.x to 9.x

Philip J. Koenig pjklist2 at ekahuna.com
Wed Sep 10 03:39:15 UTC 2014

[REPOST - sent 8/25 and no answers yet]

I've extensively searched the list archives and cannot find an answer
to this.

I get the (apparently well-known) error below when trying to use the
command "freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.3-RELEASE" on a box (actually
VM) running 9.0-RELEASE (p7).

> "The update metadata is correctly signed, but failed an integrity
> check. Cowardly refusing to proceed any further."

All the mentions I've seen of this issue pertain to either upgrading
to 9.x from 8.x or earlier, or upgrading 9.x to 10.0.

Even though I initially patched to the p7 level of 9.0-RELEASE before
trying to do this upgrade (using freebsd-update actually, and it
seemed to work fine for that), I still tried the often-suggested fix
for the known issue of older versions of freebsd-update not
recognizing "%" and "@" characters. The result was that there were no
changes made to the freebsd-update script. (diff says it's identical
to the existing file)

Anything else I can try?

Here's the sed command suggested/tried:

    sed -i '' -e 's/=_%@_/' /usr/sbin/freebsd-update

TIA

--
Philip J. Koenig
pjklist at ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New
Millenium