minor sendmail issue ....

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue Sep 9 19:49:50 UTC 2014

On 09/09/14 14:35, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:17:07 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>> I think I have that point (matching names in rc.conf & hosts) covered:
>>

>> [root at kabini1, /etc, 12:14:40pm] 407 %  grep -i kabini rc.conf hosts
>> rc.conf:hostname="kabini1"
>> hosts:192.168.0.27              jaguar  kabini1
>> [root at kabini1, /etc, 12:14:41pm] 407 %
> Yes, which means no: There's no entry for 127.0.0.1 for
> that host. Local sendmail is listening on that IP.
>
> Also read "man 5 hosts" about what the fields of this
> file, separated by spaces, indicate:
>
> 	<IP>	<official host name>	<alias(es)>
>
> As you can see, "jaguar", the official host name as per
> hosts file, does not match the hostname "kabini1" set
> in rc.conf. In order to have several names for one IP
> (which is possible and valid), you can simply add more
> than one entry for each IP, for example:
>
> 	127.0.0.1	localhost.local localhost
> 	127.0.0.1	kabini1.local kabini1
> 	192.168.0.27	kabini1.local kabini1
> 	192.168.0.27	jaguar.local jaguar
>
> You can check if your settings are correct by testing
> them with the "host <name>" command.
>

>> but w/ no domain name .... I'll try jaguar.local in hosts & see how that
>> goes .... Thx :-) ....
> The domain name isn't essentially required, but it
> does not harm to define one. :-)

Very well, I wasn't aware you could have multiple entries in the hosts
files. I have been sloppy about official name & aliases for yeasrs now,
might account for this & other odd but harmless behavior on my LAN :-/
.... I will make the changes as you recommend this shortly. The
'kabini1.local' can be in hosts but not rc.conf ?

--

	William A. Mahaffey III